Posted by admin / in /
Bishop’s University is seeking a qualified and dedicated individual to fill a regular full-time position as Accounting Technician in the Financial Services department. Reporting to the Manager of Financial Services , the incumbent will perform various accounting and administrative tasks to support the Business Office. This position may rotate with the following functions: Payroll, Billing and Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Financial Reporting and General Accounting, per the work requirements. This position has a work week of 35 hours from Monday to Friday.
Nature of duties and responsibilities
- Processes the University payroll in accordance with policies established by the University, the various collective agreements, and government regulations;
- Ensures accurate calculations with respect to insurance, benefits and deductions;
- Prepares all required journal entries to ensure proper payroll-related accounting;
- Coordinates the preparation of employment insurance claims, records of employment, and pension plan contribution reports;
- Produces payroll-related reports for government agencies, tax authorities, or University needs.
Billing and Accounts Receivable
- Responsible for setting the billing rules in the system and producing the billing for students;
- Processes data or requests from departments for non-student billing to external customers;
- Validates the financial and accounting impact of the charges billed and ensures accuracy and resolves discrepancies;
- Verifies bank deposits prepared by the various departments which are brought to the Business Office;
- Substantiates all student account transactions and posts data to the financial system;
- Reconciles receivable sub-ledger to the financial system general ledger;
- Verifies student refunds and submits expense payment forms where required to distribute funds to students or to outside agencies;
- Responsible for the preparation and timely distribution of all government reports relating to school fees and amounts paid to students, including annual tax forms as per government guidelines;
- Responsible for the periodical follow up and collection of all outstanding accounts to reduce bad debts for the University. When required, coordinates collection efforts with an outside agency for the outstanding balances.
- Distributes incoming invoices to departments for approval, verifies invoice accuracy, approval and coding, and resolves discrepancies;
- Reviews invoices and reimbursement claims for proper sales tax treatment and discount treatment if applicable;
- Input or upload invoices and reimbursement claims in the system;
- Coordinate and ensure the proper filling of the invoices and reimbursement claims Reviews vendor statements for accuracy and assists in resolving outstanding issues;
- Reconciles payables sub-ledger to the financial system general ledger;
- Manages cheque runs and is responsible for the timely preparation, approval, and distribution of payments;
- Maintains the account balances for the professional development funds;
- Identifies the outstanding payments bi-monthly as required for the bank reconciliation.
Financial Reporting and General Accounting
- Assists in the preparation and distribution of budget reports and account detail reports;
- Coordinates and prepares research reports required by various research funding agencies;
- Prepares various standard accounting journal entries to be processed and inputs monthly and year-end journal entries;
- Verifies and reconciles monthly accounting journal entries performed by colleagues in the Business Office;
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliations for the University accounts;
- Assists in the preparation of the year-end financial statements and government reports;
- Prepares balance sheet reconciliation analyses (bankers’ acceptances, prepaid, long term debt, fixed assed, etc.);
- Assists in the compilation of data and preparation of annual operating budgets;
- Prepares and reconciles the professional development fund;
- Assists with special financial projects;
- Obtains and processes data or requests from departments for accounting of internal charges.
General Duties Applicable to All Positions in the Rotation
- Involved in the continuous improvement of the Financial System or any system used in her/his day to day work;
- Responsible for making sure that the main processes to perform day to day work are documented;
- Performs additional similar / related task as required.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- College Diploma (Technical D.E.C.) in accounting;
- 3 to 5 years of similar experience;
- The incumbent must have knowledge of computerized Accounts Receivable, Payables, Payroll and General Ledger systems (knowledge of Great Plains is an asset) as well as the Microsoft Office Suite (good knowledge of excel is required);
- Excellent ability to work in a team and under pressure;
- Ability to adopt to changes in work environments;
- Fluent spoken English and French and working knowledge of written English and French.
Classification: Class 12 $24.54 to $32.02 per hour (APBU – unionized position)
If interested, please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, including what position you are applying for by March 24, 2019 before 4:00 pm to [email protected]